CB not installed
No messages to display
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spiders and Animal Totems: A run in with a totem.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spiders and Animal Totems: A run in with a totem.

Spiders and Animal Totems: A run in with a totem. 5 years, 6 months ago #174

From: spiritheart03871 (Original Message) Sent: 10/3/2002 8:01 PM
Hi everyone, I am quiet most of the time and just sit back and read ya'lls messages. However, this time I have to speak up on the subject of spiders and Animal Totems.

Though there are many good spiders out there, there are also harmful ones. Unfortunetly when it comes to inside your house or living space, you can't be choosy. The following incident made me a believer and now ALL spiders are killed if they enter my house...........

2 weeks ago my 17 year old 220 pound, solid muscle son was bit 4 times by a black widow whom decided his waterbed was cozy! Now, for those of you that do not know the effects of this spider it is a nightmare! First, the area bitten itches. A few minutes later, the closest appendage (arm, leg) goes numb and burns at the same time. Within 3 hours, the body is wracked with muscle spasms, high fever, cold sweats, kidney cramps, appendage cramps, testical cramps, intestinal and back cramps! This continues for two days and my son was on morphine and valium every 20 minutes through an IV!!!! For the next several weeks/months there is leg and arm cramps, dizziness and blackouts!

Just for everyones information: 1 Black widow bite is 15 times GREATER than a diamondback rattlesnake bite!!!!! There is an anti-venom available but it is horse syrum and very high risks of alergic reactions so normally not given It also can only bid administered ONCE in a lifetime so if you get bit by something in the future and given the anti-venom again, death is immenant!

Please people, kill all spiders you see in your house or living area! bug bomb your house frequently being careful of household pets.

As I am sure you will all agree, The Black Widow Spider should be one of my son's new totems.

Blessed be, SpiritHeart

First Previous 2-9 of 9 Next Last

Recommend Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

while i empathize with what happened to your son....i dont see how you can suggest to kill all spiders on sight. if this were to be the case, should we then kill all drivers of cars because one driver caused the death of someone? should we kill all snakes we see because the rattler is poisonous? if i was once injured by a cat, would i then suggest to kill all cats? or a dog or anything

i do not live in an area that has many poisonous spiders. I am cautious of the brown recluse and i stay out of its way as much as possible....its also stays out of my way. Spiders to me, represent creativity and so i tend to have a lot of them around me quite often...they especially seem to like my computer area and my alter area.

Blessings and quick healing to your son
Laurel

Recommend Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for posting that SpirtHeart.

I agree with SpiritHeart in not letting Black Widows reside in your living area. I would not go around the woods killing them. Spirit's son (I believe) was bitten inside the home. If I understand the story correctly, he knew the spider was residing there.

Recommend Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

You misunderstand or maybe I did not make myself clear...........

There is nothing wrong with spiders or poisonous animals/insects when they are in their own environment and we stumble upon them. What I am saying is that in your LIVING space or inside your house. Especially if you have children!

Blessings, SpiritHeart

Recommend Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Yes, there was one living in his stereo cabinet and resided there with the agreement that she would not bother him and he would not bother her. Unfortunetly, the agreement was not understood by her offspring in his bed while he was sleeping.

BB, Spirit

Recommend Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Spider
Weaving
Spider. . . .
weaving webs of delight
Weave me a peaceful world
Carrying creation in your web
Waiting to be unfurled!

Spider wove the web that brought humans the first picture of the alphabet. The letters were part of the angles of her web.

Deer asked Spider what she was weaving and why all the lines looked like symbols. Spider replied, "Why Deer, it is time for Earth's children to learn to make records of their progress in their Earth Walk." Deer answered Spider, "But they already have pictures that show through symbols the stories of their experiences." "Yes" Spider said, "But Earth's children are growing more complex, and their future generations will need to know more. The ones to come won't remember how to read the petroglyphs."

So it was that Spider wove the first primordial alphabet, as she had woven the dream of the world that had become manifest. Spider's dream of the physical world had come to fruition millions of years before.

Spider's body is made like the number eight, consisting of two lobe-like parts connected at the waist, and eight legs. Spider is the symbol for the infinite possibilities of creation. Her eight legs represent the four winds of change and the four directions on the medicine wheel.

Spider weaves the webs of fate for those who get caught in her web and become her dinner. This is similar to humans who get caught in the web of illusion in the physical world, and never see beyond the horizon into other dimensions.

The web of fate also represents a wheel of life, which does not include any alternatives or solutions. It is typically human to get caught in the polarity of good or bad fortune without realising that we can change it at any time. If we are not decisive enough about changing lots in our life, we may end up being consumed by our fears and limitations.

Spider is the female energy of the creative force that weaves the beautiful designs of life. Her web has hundreds of intricate patterns which catch the morning dew.

If Spider has dropped from her web into your cards today, she may be telling you to create, create, create! Look for new alternatives to your present impasse. She can also be warning you that you are coming too close to an entangling situation. Spider could be asking you to use a journal to write out and review your progress. If you do this, you will not forget how you are creating a new or different phase in your life.

Spider brings a message of a different kind when she sees you becoming a bit too involved in the weaving of your life plans to notice opportunity at the outskirts of your web. If this is the case, Spider gets your attention so that you notice that something you have woven has borne fruit. Congratulations! Spider caught you just in time, before you missed the opportunity on the edge of your web or reality.

The most important message from Spider is that you are an infinite being who will continue to weave the patterns of life and living throughout time. Do not fail to see the expansiveness of the eternal plan.

Recommend Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

i think i may have overreacted in my first post....for that i apologize...but you did say ALL spiders...and hey, they are my friends

Be Well

Recommend Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

And mosquitoes. If one is trying to get out of your house, chase it down and kill it. Please. And send me pictures.

Recommend Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

I Spirit,
I have to agree with you about getting rid of dangerous spiders in the house. you can of course relocate them.
i also have a son who seems to be charmed for some reason sinced he has cought everything from black widows to turantulas to snakes to scorpions...gawd get me out of the dessert
I was sending the last rabbit he caught silents messages to bite the crap out of him but no!! the thing just sat calmly in his warm hands
I also agree with certain agreements of things we live with ..although roaches can kiss my batoote
but know your house guest..a spider is less likely to find suitable food in a sterio cabinet then under the porch.
Hope your son is doing well
Hoop
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by EvonneTheStoryteller.

Re: Spiders and Animal Totems: A run in with a totem. 3 years, 7 months ago #2225

www.answers.com/topic/totem
To read more about Totems. visit the link above.

see Totem (disambiguation).
This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (November 2007)

A totem is a stipulated ancestor of a group of people, such as a family, clan, lineage, or tribe.[1]

Totems support larger groups than the individual person. In kinship and descent, if the apical ancestor of a clan is nonhuman, it is called a totem. Normally this belief is accompanied by a totemic myth.

Although the term is of Ojibwe origin in North America, totemistic beliefs are not limited to Native Americans. Similar totem-like beliefs have been historically present in societies throughout much of the world, including Africa, Asia, Australia, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, and the Arctic polar region.

In modern times, some single individuals, not otherwise involved in the practice of a tribal religion, have chosen to adopt a personal spirit animal helper, which has special meaning to them, and may refer to this as a totem. This non-traditional usage of the term is prevalent in the New Age movement, and the mythopoetic men's movement.
Contents [hide]

* 1 Totemism
* 2 North American totem poles
* 3 Possibly totemic culture in ancient China
* 4 Korean JangSeung
* 5 Totem beads in the Himalayan region
* 6 The ancient Polish rodnidze
* 7 See also
* 8 References
* 9 External links

Totemism
Personal Totem of Mohegan Chief Tantaquidgeon, commemorated on a plaque at Norwich, Connecticut.

Totemism (derived from the root -oode- in the Ojibwe language, which referred to something kinship-related, c.f. odoodem, "his totem") is a religious belief that is frequently associated with shamanistic religions. The totem is usually an animal or other natural figure that spiritually represents a group of related people such as a clan.

Totemism was a key element of study in the development of 19th and early 20th century theories of religion, especially for thinkers such as Émile Durkheim, who concentrated their study on primitive societies. Drawing on the identification of social group with spiritual totem in Australian aboriginal tribes, Durkheim theorized that all human religious expression was intrinsically founded in the relationship to a group.

In his essay "Le Totemisme aujourdhui" (Totemism Today), the anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss argued that human cognition, which is based on analogical thought, is independent of social context. From this, he excludes mathematical thought, which operates primarily through logic. Totems are chosen arbitrarily for the sole purpose of making the physical world a comprehensive and coherent classificatory system. Lévi-Strauss argues that the use of physical analogies is not an indication of a more primitive mental capacity. It is rather, a more efficient way to cope with this particular no mode of life in which abstractions are rare, and in which the physical environment is in direct friction with the society. He also holds that scientific explanation entails the discovery of an "arrangement"; moreover, since "the science of the concrete" is a classificatory system enabling individuals to classify the world in a rational fashion, it is neither more nor less a science than any other in the western world. It is important to recognise that in this text, Lévi-Strauss manifests the egalitarian nature of his work. Lévi-Strauss diverts the theme of anthropology toward the understanding of human cognition.
Cultural flag of the Kanak community, showing a flèche faîtière - a spear-like wooden totem monument placed atop Kanak traditional dwellings.

Lévi-Strauss looked at the ideas of Firth and Fortes, Durkheim, Malinowski, and Evans-Pritchard to reach his conclusions. Firth and Fortes argued that totemism was based on physical or psychological similarities between the clan and the totemic animal. Malinowski proposed that it was based on empirical interest or that the totem was 'good to eat.' In other words, there was rational interest in preserving the species. Finally Evans-Pritchard argued that the reason for totems was metaphoric. His work with the Nuer led him to believe that totems are a symbolic representation of the group. Lévi-Strauss considered Evan-Pritchard's work the correct explanation.
North American totem poles
Main article: Totem pole
A totem pole in Thunderbird Park, Victoria, British Columbia

The mis-named totem poles of the Pacific Northwest of North America are, in fact, not totemic in nature, rather they are heraldic in nature. They feature many different designs (bears, birds, frogs, people, and various supernatural beings and aquatic creatures) that function as crests of families or chiefs. They recount stories owned by those families or chiefs, and/or commemorate special occasions.
Possibly totemic culture in ancient China

The Sanxingdui Culture in southern China, dating back more than 5000 years, possibly placed bronze and gold heads on totems. Chinese transliterates totem as tuteng (圖騰). Sanxingdui bronze masks and heads (radiocarbon dated circa 1200BCE) appear to have been mounted on wooden poles. Some scholars have suggested that totemic culture spread from ancient Asian populations to the rest of the world. Others conclude that totemism arose separately in numerous cultures; totemic cultures in North America are estimated to have been more than 10,000 years old.
Korean JangSeung

A Jangseung or village guardian is a Korean totem pole usually made of wood. Jangseungs were traditionally placed at the edges of villages to mark for village boundaries and frighten away demons or welcome people in. They were also worshipped as village tutelary deities. JangSeungs were usually carved in the images of Janguns (equivalent to Admirals or Generals) and their wives. Many JangSeungs are also depicted laughing but in a frightening way. Many of the villages felt that the frightening laughter of the JangSeungs would frighten away the demons because the JangSeungs have no fear.
Totem beads in the Himalayan region

In the Himalayan region as well as on the whole Tibetan plateau area and adjacent areas, certain beaded jewelry is believed to have totemistic capabilities. Tibetans in particular give much importance to heirloom beads such as dzi beads. Though dzi beads were not produced in ancient Tibet, but by an unknown culture, most ancient dzi beads are owned by Tibetans. Different protective qualities depend on design, number of eyes, damage, color, shine, etc.
The ancient Polish rodnidze

The rodnidze known among the pre-Christian ancestors of the Poles is considered to have been roughly similar to the totem as mentioned above. In historical times, scholars considered that the animals and birds represented on the coats-of-arms of various Polish aristocratic clans may have been remnants of such totems (see Ślepowron coat of arms, Korwin coat of arms, possible remnants of a raven-rodnidze).

Read more: www.answers.com/topic/totem#ixzz1C0HQh9VA
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by EvonneTheStoryteller.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds